Train like an elite- strengthen your glutes and hamstrings with the Romanian deadlift
One of the most effective workouts for strengthening your glutes and hamstrings is the romanian deadlift. When performed correctly, it involves a hip hinge movement and uses the muscles that are vital in performing other excerises in lifting, jumping and sprinting.
While your glutes and hamstrings are engaged- You’ll find that the muscles in the front (quadriceps) are also being used, as well as the upper back muscles, which is an effective way of strengthening your back muscles and posture (along side other back exercises).
- Hold the bar with an overhand grip approximately shoulder-width(your thumbs should brush the outside of your thighs).
- Place your feet approximately hip-width apart, with knees soft and your feet straight ahead.
- Maintaining a flat back position, bend forward at the hips lowering the bar towards the floor.
- Reverse the position, extend your hips and return to the start position.
- Perform 8-10 reps (3-4 sets)
- Safety tip: keep your shoulder blades engaged as you lower.